Monday, January 5, 2009

The beauty of professions

I've been reading a bit over at the Greedy Goblin, and I'm trying out some manufacturing businesses.

I'm trying to take a pure business approach to these endeavors, so I'm not farming the mats, but rather, I'm looking at buying the raw materials and creating the item. I'm not worried about getting skill points (although for a couple of the items, I will get them for a little bit), and I want to make sure I don't flood the market with my product. On the other hand, I will not be trying to monopolize my chosen markets either.

For the most part, I will be focusing on item enhancements and consumables, which should always be in demand. I have two items that may or may not be profitable due to the small markets for them and the one time purchase nature of the items.

So, what are my items? First, the one time purchase markets:

Titanium Rods.
Needed by Enchanters.
Mat cost ~24 gold
Sell for ~45 gold
Profit ~21 gold

Tempered Saronite Bracers.
Needed by Plate wearing Tanks.
Mat cost ~26 gold
Sell for ~75 gold
Profit ~49 gold

As I've said, these markets depend on people making a one time purchase, so I'll have to see how fast the items sell.

The other items are all enhancements.

Nerubian Leg Armor
Needed by cheap Attack Power DPSers not wanting to invest in the high end leg armor.
Mat Cost ~30 gold
Sell for ~60 gold
Profit ~30 gold

Eternal Belt Buckle
Needed by everyone for an additional gem socket.
Mat Cost ~40 gold
Sell for ~60 gold
Profit ~20 gold

Mammoth Cutter ammo x10
Needed by gun hunters
Mat Cost ~35 gold
Sell for ~80 gold
Profit ~45 gold

Saronite Razorheads arrows x10
Needed by bow hunters
Mat Cost ~30 gold
Sell for ~80 gold
Profit ~50 gold

Now, all of these prices are approximations (as designated by the "~"), and I will try to keep you updated on how the items sell. And, by the way, I am using my Engineer, Leatherworking, and Blacksmithing professions on my various toons to create all of these goodies!

1 comment:

Amava said...

Very cool! I read Greedy Goblin also and love his stories about manufacturing.

The updates you've posted following this opener are interesting, and I'm intrigued to hear about the ongoing experience.