Friday, January 16, 2009

Back from the dead

Yeah, I've climbed off my death bed and made it to work.

I've caught up a bit on comments, and I just have to thank Deathrender for helping me out with the Focused Aim deal and where to jack talent points from to make it happen. Bye bye Hawk Eye.

Of course, now with the 196 hit cap for raid bosses, I need to re-gem and re-enchant and look at some possible swaps to maximize my RAP and Crit while lowering my hit to a more appropriate level. And if 196 is the cap, is 190 good enough? 180? Do I hear 168? I'll let you know.

This particular issue highlights the fact that I'm a bottomline type person. I'm not a number cruncher, and I care very little for the details. It's not that numbers overwhelm me or confuse me - I'm perfectly capable of dealing with algebra, Trig, Calculus, and the like. It's just that I really don't want to put the effort into calculating out a game mechanic to the nth decimal point. Give me the bottomline, and I'm happy!

Now what I will do is take a firm number, like the 196 hit cap w/ Focused Aim, and see what a "good enough" hit rating is from that. No, I won't be hitting up the target dummies (not that interested), but I will take a spec/gearing into a raid, run Recount, and take a look at the results.

See, I'm not interested in squeezing every ounce of Pwnage out of my character. I'm looking for good enough. When my good enough isn't, then it's time to tweak again, but until that time, I'm perfectly happy with whatever I'm currently sporting. Definitely a casual approach.

I suppose if DV was my only focus (as opposed to being my mostly focus), I would have a different attitude in maxing out all of his potential with the proper rep grinds and questing I could do. But he's not. I prefer to alt around, work on professions, run my business (more on that in another post), and have what I consider to be "fun" at the time. If that "fun" includes smashing a Heroic or Raid, then DV gets the call, currently....but I may just bring another hunter when they finally catch up.

Anyways, I'll never be a hardcore raider. I don't have the desire, and I never want to get back in the situation at home like I was in a year ago. Softcore raiding all the way for me.

...that just sounds wrong, doesn't it....casual raiding? Leisure Raiding?

Slacker raiding?

idk...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the downside (currently) to Focused Aim is that the 3% Hit doesn't transfer to your pet. So while you might not miss, if you're Hit is too low, your pet will miss.

Misses = Lower DPS = Bad.

I'm still sorting through numbers and blogs and everything else to see just how much of an effect it is.

I don't know, try it out and see what happens is all I can say. I'm not a target dummy guy either. I prefer trial by fire but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Glad I could help though! Let me know how it turns out. Hope you're feeling better man!

Rusty said...

Pet misses aren't an issue with me; I always bring Critter Bits so I always just grab the nearest critter for my DPS pet and am good to go!

Level 1 rat, FTW!!