Friday, November 5, 2010

Rest

Today is my second day of rest (no workouts) before tomorrow's race. I decided not to push my body with swim workouts this week due to the upcoming event, but next week, I'll try to incorporate at least two swim workouts.

I'm also thinking about changing things up with my runs, as in running after work. I've been getting up at 3:30 am in order to get my run in before work. There are several things I really like about running that early - no traffic, nobody around, peace/quiet, and solitude.

But there are also some things that I don't like - getting up that early, the darkness, and the avoidable coolness. I say avoidable because I know that if I switch to the afternoon, it would be much warmer.

If I do switch, it would also be much easier to hit the treadmill at the club after work; since the club opens at 5 am, before work is not an option. I'm not opposed to running in the cold, rain, or other inclement weather, but it would be nice to have another option.

The danger in moving my runs to the afternoon is the blow off factor. If I get up at 3:30 am to run, then by golly, I'm going to run. But if it seems optional...well, I could see myself hemming and hawing myself out of it. Oh yeah, I have something called self discipline that I can counter that with, don't I!

The best thing that I can do is to get into a routine where I work out every weekday after work, whether it's a run, the gym, or a swim. If I commit myself and make that routine my norm, then I should be ok.

I just have to be home in time to make dinner; momma won't put up with any foolishness in that department...

No comments: