Monday, August 24, 2009

The Melting continues

Over the weekend, I dropped below the 194 lb mark.

Now, of course, my weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds within a day and from day to day, but I'm pretty encouraged by seeing the low point of the swing moving down.

So, what have I been doing to drop this tonnage?

1. Walking. I try to get in 4-5 walks/week if not more. The walks are mainly for my wife and I to spend a little time together and to run some energy out of Denali, but they also serve to run some fat out of me!

2. Portion control. I like to eat good food, and I can make some gooooooood food. I haven't really changed what I eat; I just try to eat a little less of it.

3. Eating better. I just said that I haven't really changed what I eat, but I have changed a little - more salads and cut out soda. I also can't remember the last time I had a beer.

4. Embracing hunger. Like most people, I don't like being hungry. But guess what, I'm not going to die from being hungry. Yes, I'll be uncomfortable. Yes, it hurts a bit. Yes, I'm tempted to gorge. But, I keep reminding myself why I'm feeling the hunger and the benefits of guttin' it out.

5. Stopping snacking. Along with #4, I have stopped the between meals snacking, with the exception of my mid morning snack around 9:30 (I have breakfast at 4:30 am and lunch at 11 am so the time in between is a bit long). I used to eat whenever I got hungry. No more!

6. Cutting out dessert. I love desserts. Cheesecake, torts, tiramisu, pie, you name it, I love it. I've allowed the occasional dessert, recently, but I've tried to cut back on my main meal if I'm planning on having dessert. For the most part, I've just been skipping dessert.

That's about it. My changes have been more of the lifestyle changes, and I hope that I'm able to continue them after I've reached my target weight (175 or so lbs).

BTW, I would like to be below 190 when I leave for Hawaii on Sep. 16th; wish me luck!

No comments: