Saturday, March 5, 2011

10K PR...for reals this time!

Ok, the other times were for reals, but this one is in the books. I am really happy about breaking the one hour mark and absolutely giddy about breaking 58 minutes!

The forecast called for rain, and it rained right up until the start. Then it's as if God decided to give us an hour window to run because shortly after I finished, the rain started up again. Ok, it may have drizzled a bit out on the course, but it sure wasn't pouring like it was at 7:00 am.

Comparatively, with my age group and sex, I didn't do as well as I wished. I chalk it up to the wimps that didn't want to walk in the rain. Dang it, I need those walkers to make me feel good about myself!

Age Group (40-44): 48/74
Gender (M): 291/519
Overall: 388/1048

I did go out a little fast, although it was exactly on target for my pace window (9:30-9:00.) I still need to work on slowing myself down at the beginning so that I have more reserve at the end. From what I hear, that is a common problem with most runners.

Now the training begins in earnest. Michael has laid out a schedule of fartleks, intervals, and long runs that promises to either make me into a lean, mean, mini marathon machine or a quivering mess.

I hope it's the former...

No comments: