Friday, October 8, 2010

Plaid


Accurate mile splits: Check
Negative splits: Check
Better pacing: Check
Burn the last .23 miles: Ch-huff-huff-huff-eck

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this was my best run...EVAR!! I kept up my 3/3 breathing pattern for the first mile; somewhere in the second mile I switched to a 3/2, then in the third mile, switched again to a 2/2. For the last .23 miles, I abandoned all patterns and just sucked wind however I could get it.

A side note here: I was getting side stitches last week, and I read somewhere that if you change which foot you inhale/exhale on, the side stitch may go away. So, I tried to be proactive and switch every so often. Of course, on a 3/3 or 3/2, this isn't an issue as I was always switching due to the pattern, but on the 2/2, I had to make a conscious effort to switch. The effort did pay off, though as I had no side pain at all today, so I'll be continuing to keep up the switching.

This morning was about 47 degrees F (8.33 degrees C). I took my gloves and headband (ear warmer), but realized on my warm up walk that I wouldn't be needing the gloves. I wore the ear warmer until just after mile 2, I think. It might have been mile 1. Anyways, it was warm compared to what I ran in on Mon and Wed - 43 degrees F (6.11 degrees C).

While biking through the winter in Anchorage, AK, I identified several temperature strata where more clothing/different clothing was necessary, and so, I'm trying to do the same with my running. So far, the "gloveless" strata is 7-9 degrees F (oh for cryin' out loud, get your own F->C calculator!) below what my biking norm was. I'm sure that that information is only interesting to me...

It will be interesting to see where the "balaclava" and "running tights" levels are. Then there's the "double socks", "sweat shirt", and "sweat pants" layers; I don't think that I'll have to get more dressed up than that. I won't have wind chill to deal with; not to mention, it doesn't get that cold here in Indiana.

No comments: