Monday, October 11, 2010

It felt like my worst run ever...


And it turned out to be my fastest; go figure. It's funny because I had already convinced myself that I was just plodding through my run and therefore didn't push it at the end. I also didn't feel like I had the energy to pick it up on my second and third miles (and surprisingly, I didn't...)

I don't think this is a case of going out too fast either, although it might be. I think it's related to diet and the crap that I've been eating all weekend - mostly burgers and pizza, yeah, real health food!

Throughout most of the run, I really had to do a lot of self talk to keep going and resist walking. My legs were tired through the first mile; somewhere in the second mile I realized that I had over dressed; and I was just shambling along through my third mile (or so it felt.)

Note: It was 56 degrees F this morning, and I wore my Under Armor shirt that makes me look like Mr. Incredible (yeah, it's not pretty) and a short sleeve tech shirt over it, along with my regular shorts. It was too warm for the UA shirt, but of course, I couldn't take it off mid run without getting some sort of rest, so I just endured.

What seemed to set the tone for the run was having to stop twice during the first half mile to tie my shoes. Note to self: Tie your laces better!

All and all, this was a very good run as I ran it around the same time of day that I'll be running my 5K on Saturday (Thank you Chris Columbus for giving me a day off!) I'll need to dress appropriately for the 5K, and it was good to get this piece of information (about the UA shirt) today instead of during the race.

2 comments:

Dammerung said...

I've experianced that once or twice. Being sure that you had a sucky performance and then finding out that everything was gelling perfectly.

Keep up at the running. It is fantastic stuff. The more you do the better you do.

p.s. When you get bored of the straight out runs try 60-120's. You still go 3 miles but you flat out sprint at your top speed for 60 seconds and then walk(or jog) for 120 seconds. Repeat for three miles and you'll be bushed.

Rusty said...

Actually, that's what my speed work runs are all about. Run all out for 30 seconds, walk for 2:30 to recover, repeat.

I only do it for a mile, though...