Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ludicrous speed

A little bit more information this morning; I tried to track my mile splits. The goal here is to have my fastest mile be my last mile run (aka negative splits.)

I wasn't quite sure where mile 3 ended, and it turned out that I ran maybe .05 or .08 more miles on the last time. I'm pretty confident that my first and second mile times are fairly accurate. What does that all mean? It means I achieved negative splits! Yay.

It also means that I ran that last mile under 10 minutes. Can you say, "pumped?!"

During my run, I maintained a 3/3 breathing pattern for the first two miles (3 steps per inhale/3 steps for exhale), and on the last mile, I fell into a 2/2 pattern. I like the 3/3 pattern because it feels comfortable to me; the 2/2 pattern feels a bit too fast, but it's what I needed to keep up the O2 supply.

So, for Friday, I've burned my mile markers into my memory and should have a more accurate third mile time. Hopefully, I can repeat what I did today in pacing...must...not...start...too....fast!

On a side note, I've yet to lose any significant weight. I've been bouncing around 192-193 lbs for a while now, although this morning, the bounce is headed down. We'll see if this is a start of a downward trend or just another bounce. If I can control my food portions, I'd be golden, but therein lies the problem...

2 comments:

Wulfa said...

Did you know that when you start a new exercise program or even just kick your old one up a notch your muscles swell and the scale reflects a weight gain? Of course, I don't think I can blame any weight gain on that anymore ... it's usually because I ate icecream:)

Great job running!

Rusty said...

I'm two months into running, but I've been increasing my mileage or speed every week.

I'll hang onto that to comfort me...