Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Embrace the Shadow....lolwut?

Last night, Robin, Jay, and I were supposed to hit up RFC on our little toons, but instead, we decided to rock some Heroics on our 80's.

Jay was stuck with the role of tank on his pally, and since I really like healing, I basically ninja'd the job which left Robin to Boomkin DPS (she's main spec Tree healer).

So, we decide to get the whole ICC five man content opened up for yours truly. LFG was almost instant in providing the other two DPS, and off we went!

The first thing I noticed is that the trash hit a bit harder. Now, Jay is a very well geared tank, and I've healed him before in other Heroics, so it was pretty evident the difference between ICC and the rest of WotLK content. Still, even with the harder hitting mobs, it was pretty easy keeping him alive.

Meanwhile, Robin is rockin' the bottom of the DPS meter, just above me. Well, that's misleading, she was waaaaaaaaay above me, but still in fourth place.

An aside: one of the reasons I chose the healer role was that, although Robin can easily out heal me, I figured she could also easily out DPS me because I have no idea of how to play my Shadow spec, and she is geared way better than I am. So, in my mind as long as I can keep the group alive, Robin is better at DPS than I am, and the group is maximized for its capabilities.

We got to the first boss in the Forge of Souls (FoS), and people died...I died in a pool of purple (lolepicfireftw!). Luckily, we had the boss down enough that even though the two PuGs died, Robin and Jay were able to finish him off. Now, Jay had explained the fight; I just hadn't been paying attention to where I was standing.

We didn't have any problems with the rest of that instance and moved on to Pit of Saron. We totally owned that dungeon. No deaths, no wipes, no problem. I really like the second boss, Ick; he involves a lot of moving around.

We lost one DPS, but LFG quickly provided another, and we marched on to the Halls of Reflection. This is by far, more healing intensive than the last two. The first boss is preceeded by four waves of trash, then, after a short break, there are four more waves of trash and the second boss.

Well, we made it through all of it pretty much unscathed, although Robin helped out with some healing and Jay did burn Lay on Hands. I started to think that I might not be able to keep up my end of the bargain in the Healing department.

And sure enough, on the next and last part, I couldn't. Sylvannas just couldn't down those barriers fast enough, and we died twice on the last barrier due to one crappy priest. I just couldn't keep everyone up.

So....I turn the healing over to Robin, break out my Shadow spec, and hope that I can not fail at DPS. Oh, and while I have what I think are good talents, I have no idea what some of these spells are, I have NO GLYPHS, and I'm all lolspellrotationwut? And to top it off, all of the +hit gear that I've accumulated....is in the bank.

Well, we buff up, drink up, and get our collective poop together and start the event. For some reason, Jay had already researched a spell rotation and rattled it off in Vent. I caught some of it, but the important piece was provided by Robin: Mind Sear is your AoE.

Mind Sear...AoE, right, got it!

So, the first fight, I pick a mob, stand in Consecrate, and Mind Sear.

When that one dies, I pick another mob and Mind Sear.

And at the end of the fight....I had done (according to Robin; I didn't screenshot it) 9K DPS.

lolwut? I was like nowai! And Robin was all WAI! And I was like rly?? And she was like yuhuh!

Wow.

I am such a noob. We proceeded then to absolutely smash the rest of the instance with Robin's 1337 healz and my more than adequate DPS.

So, I figured maybe it's a fluke or something, and I wondered how I'd do in another Heroic. I bought some glyphs but forgot to grab my hit gear, and we queued up for another almost instant Random Dungeon.

We got Halls of Stone. I was up against a shammy with a gear score of 4900+, a rogue with a gear score of 4600+, while I was rockin a gear score of 4200+.

For two thirds of the instance, I was queen of the DPS meter! I couldn't even get close to matching the others on single target pulls, but on AoE pulls, I was crankin' it out! There were numbers literally filling my screen from the damage I was doing.

In the end, I snagged second place to the aforementioned shammy by a little bit; if I think of it, I'll screenshot the DPS meter when I log on.

So...from now on, I'm going to let Robin heal...I have a new job...

...because there are faces that need to be melted.

Embrace the Shadow...

No comments: