Thursday, September 24, 2009

Island Cooking!

Today we went to the farmer's market here in Hilo, HI. The fresh produce was absolutely amazing! There were mangoes, papayas, avocados, lettuce, Maui onions, ginger, and a whole lot more! /sigh...it was almost overwhelming.

I have been wanting to cook something that includes some of the Hawaiian produce, but, hey, I'm on vacation, right? Meh, I decided to whip something up anyways.

So, I bought some Maui onions, a mango, and some fresh mahi-mahi and here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1 small (Maui) onion - diced
1 inch fresh ginger - chopped (yes, I peel my ginger!)
5 cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Salt to taste
1 medium mango - diced into 1 cm pieces
10 macadamia nuts - quartered
2 tbs fresh cilantro - chopped (optional)
1-2 lbs mahi-mahi filets

I sauted the onion and ginger in a little olive oil on medium heat until the onions were translucent. I added the cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon and continued cooking the mixture until the edges of the onions were brown.

Add the mangoes, salt to taste, macadamia nuts, and 1 tbs cilantro and continue frying the mixture and watch for some of the sauce to start caramelizing. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent burning.

Meanwhile, get the grill hot and throw a little salt and pepper on the filets. When the grill is nice and smokin', slap those bad boys (that would be the fish) on the grill and cook them until they're done. I usually turn the grill down to 400 degrees or so after the meat is seared.

FLIP ONCE! As will all other grilling, you only want to flip the fish once, so make sure it's done on the first side before flipping.

Once the mahi-mahi is done, put the filet on a plate and spoon some of the mango mixture onto it. If desired, sprinkle a little cilantro on the top to finish it off. Enjoy!

No comments: