Friday, September 18, 2009

First Day in Kauai

After a 30 hour day yesterday (Hawaii time is 6 hours behind Eastern time: 24 + 6 = 30), I was looking forward to relaxing today.

Well, we didn't. lol.

First off, I went on a dive at 7:30 am; it was just me and Scuba Steve. If you're going to Kauai, and thinking about diving, I highly recommend Steve! He was awesome!

First, he told me a little history about the dive site (coordinates: 21.879024,-159.468866 on google maps) and then told me about the wildlife that we would be seeing. I also learned a few new hand signals including "L" for lizardfish (not loser), the "hang loose" sign for "ok", and the "hang over" sign for "everything hurts."

We did two dives of 53 minutes and 56 minutes at 40 feet with about a half an hour shore time between them. We entered the water from the shore; this was my first time doing a shore dive.

Ok, the wildlife, cause I know you're itchin' to know. We saw some massive (3-4 feet long) sea turtles, several different kinds of trumpet fish, lots of parrot fish, convict tangs, and Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasses in their cleaning stations. We also saw a couple of Moray Eels.

All in all, it was a great dive!

Then, in the afternoon, my wife and I drove up to the North shore to the end of the road. We did a little shopping, a little walk on the beach, and a lot of Sunday driving! It was a great day for it too! Temperature was in the 80's, and the skies were partly cloudy. A nice breeze was blowing too. Ahhhhh....it's nice to be in paradise!

No comments: