Friday, September 11, 2009

Eat....EAT!!!

Just because I'm watching what I'm eating doesn't mean it's all tofu and carrots for me. Much to the contrary, my culinary repertoire has broadened a bit to include some pretty tasty dishes.

Tuesday: I had picked up two portabella mushroom caps without having anything specific in mind for them. As it turns out, I was able to cobble together a great meal for myself (and lunch the next day - my wife doesn't do mushrooms. Yay!).

First, I prepared a Caesar salad. Romaine lettuce, shredded Parmesan cheese, a little chopped garlic, croutons, and Caesar dressing.

I brushed the caps with olive oil; then I made a mixture of Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, a little chopped garlic, and some olive oil and stuffed the mixture into the mushroom caps. Ok, well, put caps on their tops, upside down, and put the mixture on top of them. Better? It wasn't really stuffing, but whatever.

I heated up the grill and grilled those suckers! It took about 10 minutes for them to be done - Tip: I used indirect heat for most of the cooking and only turned on the burners beneath the caps for the last two minutes or so.

The only thing left was to make a bed out of the salad and top it with the stuffed mushroom cap. Mmmm....mmmmm...GOOD!

Thursday: Emboldened by my culinary success on Tuesday, I decided to use up some feta cheese and Greek olives that I had laying around. So, I cut up some Romaine lettuce, about 1/4 of an onion in rings, drained the Greek olives, cubed the feta cheese, and threw in a couple of banana peppers.

I found a good Greek salad dressing recipe that didn't have any vinegar in it (my wife doesn't like it) and made a double batch. I used about half on the salad (yeah, I could have just made up a single batch, but I like to go overboard).

Then, I seasoned some chicken breasts with some Greek seasoning and grilled them. When they were done, I cut up the breasts and threw them in the salad. Yum, yum, yum!

Tonight: I'm stopping by the store to pick up some Bleu cheese crumbles and dressing, some flank steak, pecans, Roma tomatoes, and crusty bread. My plan is to rub the steak with Montreal Pepper steak seasoning, grill it, and throw it on a salad with Romaine lettuce, the Bleu cheese stuff, cubed tomatoes, and caramelized pecans....sluuuuurrrrrrrp...erm...excuse me, that was just a little drool....

No comments: