Saturday, September 19, 2009

Beach time!

Today, we hit the beach! Poipu beach, to be exact.

I was intending to do some boogie boarding, but the location wasn't conducive to that activity. Rocks and the coral reef just don't make good landing spots...and the beach was too steep and the waves too small where they came ashore.

Now, offshore a bit, there were some wonder waves that the locals were surfing on, so it was fun watching them.

So, mostly, we just played in the water and fought the current. Good exercise, that.

We also saw two sea turtles really close to the shore, which was cool for my wife to see. I had seen a bunch the other day on my dive.

This morning, we went out to the National Botanical Gardens here in Kauai. It was pretty cool to see all the plant life. I didn't know that the vast majority of the plants on the islands are not native to Hawaii! A number of them were transplanted by the Polynesians, and others came after Captain Cook put the islands on the map.

Oh, and some idiot introduced mosquitoes in the late 1800's. I'm sure he didn't mean to, but sheesh!

Anyways, tonight we're off to the Beach House. I'll write more tomorrow as I skipped yesterday and our grand adventure! Aloha!

No comments: