Monday, October 20, 2008

The trip down to Houston

We left Friday afternoon at 3:30 pm after my youngest son got home from school. Our plan was to make it to Blytheville, AR to stop for the night. It was approximately 400 miles.

Our route took us through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and finally to Arkansas. Of those states, AR was the only one that I hadn't visited before, so I got to add that to the list of states I've been to.

The next day took us through Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. I'd never been to Ole Miss, so that got added to my little list as well.

In Houston, we stayed with some old friends from Alaska. We stayed with one set of friends, but also got to see another set of friends that lived there as well. The two sets of friends are a couple of brothers (twins) and seem to have to do everything...uh...similar. Including having houses right next to each other with almost identical floor plans. Yeah, they're identical twins...for the most part.

Unfortunately, one of the twins (Brian) was in the hospital, so I didn't get to visit with him very much, but I did spend all day Sunday with his brother - Dane, who I actually knew much better than the hospitalized brother. Dane and I sang together for 7 or 8 years in various iterations of a men's ensemble at our church.

And, on Monday, we set out on the cruise! We sailed on the Carnival Ecstasy with my wife's Aunt and her husband...and his sister.....and my wife's 4 cousins (who are our kid's ages and are good friends with our kids)....and THEIR 4 friends...and our two kids. Whew! There were 15 of us in all.

No comments: