Thursday, June 25, 2009

Interestinking

I realized today that I've never had to catch up cooking to my current level; I've always leveled cooking along with my toon level.

So, running around collecting low level meats is new to me and, if I may be frank, isn't all that exciting. Also, since I collect recipes during my leveling process where ever I find them, I'm having a bit of an issue remembering where to go for the next recipe.

Now, I could level fishing along with cooking. /sigh. That would set me back some time, and I'm starting to get itchin' to move on to leveling Daxjin, who hit 60 last night by completing the Honoring/Desecrating the Flames of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.

I had another epiphany recently...if I really enjoy playing Death Knights, then maybe my army of alts, who are created solely to cover the rest of the professions, should be DK's. That way I can level them 10 levels and be done as far as toon leveling goes. I can see it now:

"Yeah, I served Arthas, killed innocents, pillaged villages, and generally wreaked havoc in my past, but now I like sewing...."

The downside is that BoP recipes found in instances would be out of reach unless I leveled my profession DK's. I'll have to think about it more.

On another note, someone is trying to corner the market on Netherweave bags, or at least they are buying up bags that are below their set price, and that smells of profit for me! I'll keep on listing bags about 50 silver below their price, 2 at a time and take as much money as they'll give me! Of course, once they realize that I won't stop suppying the bags, they'll have to switch to another tactic if they still want to set the price at 7.75 gold, namely, undercutting me and driving the price down.

Of course, they may just accept the fact that they'll lose a little business to me, but also realize that their bags will sell after my two have been bought up. Or they may flood the market with cheaper bags and accept the lower profit (or even a loss) in order to drive me out of competition. Or, they may just move on to another segment of the Auction House and leave me be.

The key to making money in this situation is to take advantage of the other person thinking through and trying different tactics:

First, he attempts to deplete my stock. Once he realizes that I just keep making more, he'll stop buying my bags (and that tactic). The amount of time that I sell him bags depends on his market savvy; I've sold him two bags, will he buy more and how long will he hope that I run out? I make money from him (and others) while he plays out the scenario.

After this, he may just accept the loss in business and leave me a small share of the pie. This is probably the best course for him as it takes the least amount of capital and effort.

He may undercut me. Now the ball would be in my court, but I won't play (probably)! I'll continue to list my bags at my set price in the hopes that once his bags sell, mine will sell. If my bags won't sell, then I may lower my price to compete and repeat the original scenario, albeit at a lower price.

He can drive me out of the market if he lowers the price of the bags below what a stack of Netherweave + 1 Runethread costs; it would be ludicrous to sell a manufactured item for less than the cost of the mats. Of course, his costs and my costs are probably different (mine are probably higher), so he could still make a profit selling the bags below what the mats cost me.

One more observation - if I continue in this particular market, I'll make sure to buy my Netherweave cloth on the weekend as the price climbs significantly during the week.

2 comments:

The Fuzz said...

Yo. Robin isn't a 12 year old Vietnamese sweatshop worker ya know! o.O

Rusty said...

I know, I know....she's a twenties something American sweatshop worker!

Now get back on those bags!