Saturday, May 7, 2011

1/2 Marathon Personal Record!!!

Of course, it's my very first 1/2 marathon...

I ran the race almost exactly as I wanted to. I wanted to start out slow (approx 11 min miles) and pick it up for the second half. As you can see, that's what I did.

I had to concentrate at the beginning of the race to keep my pace slow, as everyone and their grandma was passing me. But I've gone out too fast both on training runs and on races, and I know the pain that is waiting for me on the second half if I insist on running like the wind.

I GU'd before the race and planned to GU again around the 7 mile mark. Well, the best laid plans...it turned out that we could not GU on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and where was mile 7? Turn 4.

So, coming up on mile 5 I was debating...GU before or after...before? Yes? No. Headed down under the track now...GU now? Nah. I did it after, which put it right around the 8.5 mile mark.

I placed 15580 over all, which is in the top 50%, yay! For my age group, though, I was 1347/1929, which is definitely in the bottom half. And that's OK!

I feel really good about my race. I didn't get caught up in the hoopla; I did run all the way; I had enough endurance to make it to the end. That's a good first mini.

Oh, and my time differs from my official time cause I had to take a pit stop around mile 6 or so. It cost me about 2 minutes. Now I get to rest until Wednesday! Yay!

1 comment:

The Fuzz said...

Hey! Where did you go sir? Your FaceBook seems to have vanished?