Monday, January 14, 2013

5 X 1000m

Here is the longest intervals that I have done to date; of course, I've done fast miles, but not mile intervals (but I will later in this schedule.)  Next Monday, the intervals increase to 3/4ths of a mile; should be taxing...

After next week, the intervals are switched to strength training speed and increase in length starting with one mile and subsequently 1.5, 2, and 3 mile intervals at a 9:00 pace.

I think this type of training is for someone who is more finely tuned than I am, cause I don't think I'd have a problem doing two 27 minute 3 mile runs with a mile recovery in between.  I mean, I'm supposed to do a 6 mile tempo run at 9:10 on this Wed.  Of course, I say this now in ignorance; we'll see what I say on that particular day, if I can catch my breath to talk, that is.

Regardless, hopefully through following this schedule I can get some sort of idea of my potential and work toward it.  Right now, I'm not sure where my limits are, and while it is exciting to think about chopping minutes off my half marathon time, I'm not quite sure what is realistic and what is just wishful thinking.

EDIT: Oh, totally messed up the first interval; 1000m equals .625 miles, which is more precise than my Garmin 305 will track, so I meant to just run .63 and brain farted on that first one. I also added 200 m (.125 miles) to the recovery part to make each interval an even mile.

No comments: