Sunday, December 16, 2012

Santa Hustle Half Marathon - Indy Version

A.  Yes, I did wear the Santa shirt and hat provided in the packet.
B.  No, I did not wear the beard that was provided.
C.  Yes, this is a PR. (!!!SoEXCITED!!!)

That's enough of the alphabet stuff.  I was a bit worried about the weather; it was supposed to be in the low fifties, which is right around the break point for ear protection and possibly gloves, not to mention underarmor stuff.

I brought all that gear to the race as I knew I wouldn't park that far from the Start line and could adjust right up to the beginning of the race.  I decided to try going with the long sleeve Santa shirt, the aforementioned hat, no gloves, and no ear protection (the Santa hat didn't come down over my ears - fat head...).

My warmup run was pretty good, so I decided to go with what I had on.  That was a good choice as I ended up rolling the sleeves up for a couple of miles during the race.

As you can see, the first half of my race was faster than the second by 20 seconds (not counting the last .12 miles), which, now that I think about it, isn't that bad.  The cool thing is that all my miles are within 19 seconds of each other; there might be something to this pace alarm thing!  This is the first race that I think I've run consistent times for my miles; all the other races, my times have varied by minutes, not seconds.

The interval work really paid off as I spotted the mile 13 sign about .1 miles away, so I kicked it into gear and carried it all the way to the end. 

I just checked the results:
Age Group (45-49): 32/45. At least I wasn't last...
Overall: 465/938.  TOP HALF!!!

Next half marathon goal? 2 hours, baby!!

No comments: