Monday, July 26, 2010

Real Life

We all live in fantasy worlds to one extent or another; whether it is second guessing coaching calls for our favorite sports teams, building up powerful avatars in a computer game, or imagining what we would do with a billion bucks, I think it's safe to say that human beings spend a fair amount of time in musings that aren't related to real life.

Ok, at least I do. How about that? Will you admit that? Sure you can; we all know I'm a nut job and that I have musings. Ergo, I spend time in a delusional fantasy world and describe it to you all occasionally.

Alrighty, there's a starting point. So, now that I have a major source of my fantasy world taken away (World of Warcrack, as if you didn't know!), do I choose to substitute another delusion or fantasy or use this as an opportunity to get involved in the real world?

As tempting the fantasy world is (no responsibility, gain great power over my environment, have unlimited resources), I know I need to grab onto reality. Last night was such a time.

We had some friends over for dinner, played some sort of rummy card game, and yakked. Toward the end of the evening, our friends disclosed to us a problem that they were struggling with (short version, their son is coming back from a 10 day mission trip and his dog died while he was away).

We were able to firstly, comfort them in their hardship and trial, and (hopefully) help them see how God could use it to mature their son through a really hard trial after what is sure to be a huge spiritual high.

Afterward, as my wife and I were taking our evening walk, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction in being used by God in this way. Sure, it was small and somewhat trivial, but I know it was a great comfort to our friends to share their burden with us, and we were happy to help them bear it.

I can't even begin to count the opportunities like this that I didn't even get a chance to participate in because I was too busy with my fantasy world.

I just have to thank God for second, third, billionth chances.

2 comments:

joe said...

I always have a hard time with dead pet stories. I realize other people get broken up about it...but it really never bothered me much.

Rusty said...

We didn't get all wrapped up around the axle about it, but we could appreciate the difficulty of the situation as well as the fears involved (the son might turn against his parents or against God).

Also, since you aren't particularly bothered by the death of pets, God probably wouldn't choose to use you in this setting. You don't use a hammer when you need screwdriver. Ok, well, most of us wouldn't...