Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Prodigal Son

Last Friday, my oldest son came to me and asked if he could move back into my home.

My response was, "What's your plan", implying "what's your plan to move out of my house?" I told him that even the prodigal son in Jesus' parable had a plan ("I'll ask to be as one of my father's hired men.")

He had done some research into apartments, but nothing concrete, so, I told him to come back to me when he had a plan.

Well, on Sunday evening, I took him out to dinner so we could hash out his plan. He had researched two apts, had some realistic expectations of what he would make, and had a general idea of his monthly expenses. I helped him think through the things he had missed or was unsure about, and we came up with something of a plan for him to move out in two and a half months.

Then I offered him a better deal.

I told him that he could stay in my house as long as he wanted - 2, 4, I hope not 6 years - if he would go back to school and work enough to cover his expenses (car insurance, gas, books).

He was more than happy to accept the better plan and moved back in last night.

My son is definitely not the same man that I kicked out last August; the world has schooled him something fierce, and I think he realizes, and appreciates, the value of what he left behind when he caused me to kick him out.

When he left, his head was shoved pretty far up his butt with his hands on his hips pulling it farther in. From talking with him recently, it sounds like there was the great popping sound that accompanies the action of pulling one's head out of their rectum. I couldn't be happier for him!

I'm cautiously optimistic. Of course my greatest hope is that he becomes absolutely consumed with digging himself out of the hole he's in by pursuing academic rehabilitation (yeah, he's on the dean's crap list) and saving every penny that he gets his hands on. But, I'm realistic in knowing that he's still only twenty and has a lot of growing up to do, so for now, I'm pleased that he is finally able to see something besides the inside of his butt.

And that's a great start.

No comments: