Saturday, June 11, 2011

Failure is an option, but not making your schedule is NOT!

I started this run at 8:47 PM. Yes, evening. It was dusk.

I got myself going by promising that I would just get in 2 or 3 miles and call it good. I mean, really, 19 last week to 22 this week is a good increase.

Then at mile 2.5, I thought, "5. Just do 5, that way you only owe coach 3 miles." Ok, I'll do 5. Now remember, I'm running my 2 mile loop then my 1 mile loop, each of which start and end at my house, so I can quit any time. (I started with the 2 mile loop)

So, I run by my house at 3 miles and head out on the 2 mile loop, and about mile 4 or so, I thought, "What's 1 more? Then you only owe K two miles. Yeah, we'll see how I feel..."

Turns out, I felt ok, so...on past my house to the 1 mile loop. As I'm jogging (shambling) along, I get to thinking again. "At the end of this, you only have two more miles and then you won't owe Coach K ANYTHING!" Grumble grumble.

I ran past my house again.

And headed out on the two mile loop.

And scared my wife because she was wondering where in the world I had gotten off to! (Visions of me laying by the side of the road, clutching my chest and all.)

Let me tell you, yes, I feel like I just squeaked by by cramming for a final. There were several things I would have rather done than run this 8 miles (listen to nails on chalkboards...poke needles under my fingernails...get my nose pierced), but in the end, I put my big girl panties on and sucked it up.

This run may get lost in the sea of running; I may forget it as soon as tomorrow. But I've learned something from it. I've learned tenacity. I've learned stick-to-itiveness. I've learned...I've really got to plan my Saturdays better!

No comments: