Friday, August 27, 2010

Working out the kinks


Here is a break down of my run this morning. I ended up adding .2 miles to my total. The watch worked out great; I could hear the interval timers clearly. Overall, the switch from distance to time was very easy with the audible timer.

I was curious as to how far I would actually jog in two minutes, and it turned out to be three of my segments (~.3 miles.) The walking portion turned out to be approximately 1/2 of a segment. So all in all, I increased my pace from a 3:1 ratio to a 6:1 ratio; that wasn't my intention, but I'm OK with it.

I think the main reason for the unintended jump in pace is that the timer is a harsh and unforgiving task master, and when it chimed, I switched pace immediately. So, while the time was a 4:1 ratio, the mileage turned up to a 6:1. I'll be bumping the time up to a 5:1 ratio (2.5 minutes jogging : 30 sec walking), so we'll see how that affects the mileage. Although, I'm not really concerned with the distance ratio as I am with the time.

Goals:
1. Run 3 miles in one session
2. Average 10 minute miles (6 MPH) for any given session
3. Complete a 5K (3.1 mile) run under 30 minutes.

October 16th is just seven weeks away.

No comments: