Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What occupies my time?

Since kicking WoW to the curb, I've had an extraordinary amount of time on my hands; I know, weird, right?

I've spent most of it with my beautiful wife and with Denali. As I write this, I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't made a concerted effort to connect with either of my sons. Note to self - uh, change that!

I've also been spending a fair amount of time on the piano. I mentioned a while back that I was working on Chopin's Prelude in Db Major aka the "Raindrop Prelude." I tend to view the piece in three sections which correspond to a page each in the book that I have.

I have the most work to do on the first section. I've got the major theme down, but in the middle of the page there are different variations that I just have to play through repeatedly in order to get them down.

I've got the second section down pat. If you listened to the link above, it's the part where the low chords start building along with the constant plunking of the G#, culminating in the crashing chords. This sequence is repeated.

The first half of the third section is a transition back to the main theme, which resumes in the second half of the third section. I've been working a lot on this transition which is a mini theme that is repeated with variations. While I don't have it down pat, I can play through it slowly while looking at the music. The last part of the piece is back to the main theme with an ending attached to it; I pretty much have this down.

My goal is to be able to play this piece, as with all the pieces I play, without music, from memory. This allows me the freedom to interpret the piece how I think it should be and add the feeling and drama to make it come alive. If I'm constantly looking at the sheet music, I find it hard to focus on the feel of the piece as I'm worried about losing my place.

Perhaps, when I get it polished enough, I'll record it and post it here for your listening enjoyment. Perhaps...

No comments: