Monday, December 14, 2015

The events of Aug 11 (Part 3)


Jesus said in Matt 5:29-30 -  If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.

While hell wasn't on the table for me, I knew that I would never grow more mature in Christ until I had cut off that which was dragging me down. I have never been able to balance my video gaming and my Christian walk, so it was time to cut out the video gaming.

I confessed my adultery to God and thanked Him for a second chance to do His will. That day, I picked up a study in James that I had only done a little bit in and started getting into the Word. I also started reading J.I. Packer's book Knowing God.

So, I had James beating me up in the afternoon and J.I. Packer comforting me in the evening! What a joy! and I mean no sarcasm in that statement. During this time, I also tried to replace WoW with...another game - Microsoft's Freelancer, which is a single player game.

After about 4 or 5 days of playing Freelancer, I came upon a level that I had some difficulty with and decided that it just wasn't worth the time to get over it. Not really growth as much as not having fun with the game.

The next game I picked up was a phone game that I had played before: Puzzle and Dragons(P&D). I had two accounts and started playing them along with continuing my study in James and Knowing God. After a week of increasingly devoting my time to P&D, I realized that I was falling into the same pattern of worship as I did before.

I immediately deleted both accounts, never to look back.

No comments: