Monday, December 14, 2015

The events of Aug 11 (Part 1)



I am undertaking this endeavor of writing down the workings of God in my life subsequent to His taking a hold of me and drawing me close. I have not been the same since, and I give all the glory to Him and Him alone. I would have done otherwise...

Before Aug 11, 2015, I had been a Christian for over 22 years. I have had many of the same struggles that everyone else has had including bouts with all sorts of sin (the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes,  and the boastful pride of life. 1 John 2:16). I had engaged in playing various video games during this period, and most of the time I played them way too much. I had ignored my wife and children to satisfy my desire for just one more turn or level.

During this time, my relationship with the Lord was up and down, as you can well imagine it would be. I would sit in front of the computer for upwards of 20 or 30 hours a week playing Star Wars: The Old Republic or World of Warcraft. Before MMO's, it was CivII, Dragon Age: Origins, or Runescape. I was engrossed with the same type of worship that the children of Israel engaged in: Worship of the one true God...along with Baal, Molech, and Asherah; only the names had changed for me: God...along with WoW, SW:toR, and DA:O. I worshipped them all.

1 Kings 18:21 comes to mind to illustrate:  Elijah came near to all the people and said, “How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.” But the people did not answer him a word. I stood with the people of Israel and refused to commit whole heartedly to God or WoW.

I must make a note that in 1993, I did come to a true and saving faith in the death of Jesus Christ in my stead, and His blood did indeed cover my sin. If I would have died in the past 22 years, I have full faith and confidence that I would have been ushered directly into the presence of God Himself, albeit without a "Well done, my good and faithful servant". I would have been one of the "by the skin of [his] teeth" guys.

All during this time as a Christian, I would have spurts of being on fire for Christ and cold or lukewarm. God still used me to lead worship in Anchorage as well as Indiana, but my inconsistent walk was a constant concern for me. I struggled with sins that I should have been well past.

No comments: