Monday, July 2, 2012

Michael runs; I bike.

My father-in-law turned 66 today and decided to celebrate with a 20 mile run.  Hey, don't ask me, that's her side of the family.  Anyways, since I am in town, I got to be the pack mule for his water and Gatorade.

The day started out cool, in the fifties, and warmed up to the high sixties by the end of the ride.  Since I needed to be around in case Michael wanted water, I poked along on the opposite side of the road as him.

I took a bio-break after the first turn around while Michael forged ahead; I was able to get cruising after that to catch up.  Lewistown has some nice hills, and I was on a downhill part.  I let the legs work off some of that stored energy and got the bike to 28 mph or so.  Unfortunately, I caught up to Michael way too quick.

At the 18 mile mark, Michael had some cramp issues that plagued him for the remainder of the run.  We stopped 4 or 5 times for him to stretch and try to get them to go away.  He was able to make it home under his own power, and even though I offered him the bike when he first cramped up, he declined.

Michael ended up with a 3:04 and change for his time, which was 6 minutes faster than his 20 miler two weeks ago.  That particular run was not hindered by cramps either.

I may take the bike out tomorrow morning for a solo ride just to work off some of this vacation fat.  I'd also like to get up to cruising speed and see how my endurance has suffered due to the sporadic exercise of the last month.

No comments: