Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Disappointment

I have been in a deep funk over my race on Saturday; such a funk that, I'm sure you've noticed, I haven't posted my results.  To tell the truth, I haven't even transferred the numbers from my watch to my spreadsheet (and subsequently to a post.)

The day wasn't too hot, but it was very humid.  I maintained my target pace (10:30) for the first 5 miles; then the wheels fell off.  As most of you know, I have three cardinal rules when racing:

1.  Don't stop.
2.  Don't walk.
3.  Don't die.

Sadly, I broke two out of the three rules in this race.  I stopped at around the 6.75 mile mark and then walked for a good portion of the rest of the race.  My friend Brad stayed with me the whole way, and he finally convinced me to run the last 2.1 miles, which we did.  I finished on a high note of a 10:09 minute last mile, but that was the only bright spot in a race of misery.

My official time (I just got the courage to look it up this morning) was around 2:53; my unofficial time was 2:47:13, more than 32 minutes off my target and 27 minutes off last year's time.

I need to suck it up, though.  Geist Half marathon is May 19th, and I've already paid for it.  So that means I'm going.  Note to self:  "Pull it together, Nancy."

No comments: