Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What's this???

A non-workout post??

scandalous...

Looking over the last couple of month's posts, I realized that I hadn't included hardly any non-workout posts. Yeah, boring me...

Unfortunately for you all, I'm very excited about my runs and workout stuff, so I won't be eliminating them. Remember who you're dealing with - Mr. 1 or 0. I'm either on or off, never in between...So I turned the WoW switch off and the fitness switch on.

An aside, yes, I have had temptations to return to World of Warcrack, but thankfully, I immediately remember the time sink that it is and the unhealthy worship that I engaged in with it. The temptation passes very quickly.

Of course, I can't be running all the time, so there is a natural limit to how much I can engage in my current activity of choice. I need that to help me keep it in its proper place. WoW didn't have that for me, so the limitations had to be self imposed (difficult for me) or had to come from familial pressure (very bad idea to let it get to that point.)

I can't remember if I let you all know that I had picked up Dragon Age: Origins. I did. I played through it once and have another character that I've done a little bit with, but truthfully, it doesn't have the same hold over me as Warcrack did, even on the first play through.

I've been sitting on the couch more, along side my wife. That's been nice. We watch some DVR shows (NCIS, CSI, It's Me or the Dog) or just read. It's funny that I'm exercising more AND being the couch potato more.

Speaking of reading, Thomas Sowell put out a book in 2008 called Economic Facts and Fallacies. I'm reading through it right now; it has been very beneficial in understanding some of the political rhetoric that is being bantered about these days.

Dr. Sowell takes several large areas of Economics that have quite a number of "facts" associated with them and dissects the associated data to come up with alternate theories as to why things are the way they are.

One such misconception is in regards to "the poor." While media and politicians are fond of referring to the poor (bottom 20% or whatever is the percentage du jour), what they don't mention is that "the poor" are not an enduring class, meaning that most of the current poor will not be in the same income bracket 10 years from now and that with no government intervention.

The fact is that a 20 year old in that particular bracket most likely won't be making the same money when he is a 30 year old. Of course, exceptions abound, and I'm wondering if my oldest son will ever make enough money or have the motivation to take care of himself...<.<....>.>.....

I've also had some time to polish up my piano playing. My two Chopin pieces are coming along nicely, and I can play through each of them without the sheet music. That isn't to say that I can play them perfectly; execution is not memorization...

And finally, it's going to be at least a two post day, because I have some running to do. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do my speed work today or 4.58 miles. I don't think I should do both; I'll probably make up my mind after seeing the weather at 3 PM. There were snow flurries this morning...

2 comments:

joe said...

Do you know what you should do? You should mail me Dragon Age: Origins

Rusty said...

I'll take that under advisement.

I did pre-order DA2...