Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pleased as Punch

My work on spell priorities and casting the right spell at the right time and keeping my DoTs refreshed is paying off.

Last night was VOA, the first ICC four, Rot, Fester, and two attempts on Prof. I was consistently in the top 10 for damage done. A screen shot, if I may:

This is the total damage done for the Saurafang fight. Now, I did not have to switch targets to blood beasts, so all I had to do was light up the boss. I was pretty happy with the results - almost 9k dps, single target.

One of the reasons I was pretty good on this fight was the previous fight:
Yes, that is the total damage from Gunship. The druid may have beat me on DPS, but I smoked everybody on total damage. Go me! By the way, 88% of my damage from that fight is Mind Sear.

So, what's the difference? I've got two things that I can think of:
1. Targeting macros. I've got one of these for every fight that I have to switch targets...even Marrowgar. I link the appropriate targeting macro to my 'c' key and spam away to get the next target. I spend very little time looking for something to light up.

2. Keeping my DoTs up. Yeah, I was keeping them up, eventually. Since Vampiric Touch is my highest damage spell, and since it has a cast time, I needed to get better about anticipating when to cast it so that it landed just after it fell off. I also tried to refresh Devouring Plague as soon as I saw the sparkle on the debuff icon on my PSP addon.

3. Adding the little stuff. Shadow Word: Death and Shadow Fiend are good spells in different contexts. SW:D is perfect for when you're on the move to add that little bit of DPS if you don't have a DoT that needs to be refreshed.

Shadow Fiend is a DPS spell; no no no no, it's not for mana regen....it's for DPS! And as a DPS spell, it needs to be smacked every cooldown, which means at the start of the fight and every time it's up. I beat a mage a couple of weeks ago by my Shadow Fiend's damage, around 60k damage, so it can make a difference.

So, there you go. I'm slowly but surely finding my way to great Shadow Priesting instead of just good! Thanks, Robin for pushing me to the dark side...

No comments: