Thursday, May 19, 2016

Jonah Chapter 2 with paragraph summaries (timeless)


Jonah 2:1 and paragraph summary
2:1 - Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the stomach of the fish
Man turns to God when all hope is finally lost.
Man prays.

Jonah 2:2-9
2:2 - and he said,
“I called out of my distress to the Lord,
And He answered me.
I cried for help from the depth of Sheol;
You heard my voice.
God answers prayer.
God hears our prayer.

2:3 - “For You had cast me into the deep,
Into the heart of the seas,
And the current engulfed me.
All Your breakers and billows passed over me.

God is recognized as orchestrating events by man.
God controls the seas.

2:4 - “So I said, ‘I have been expelled from Your sight.
Nevertheless I will look again toward Your holy temple.’

Man declares his faithfulness with a hard heart!

2:5 - “Water encompassed me to the point of death.
The great deep engulfed me,
Weeds were wrapped around my head.

Only God saves

2:6 - “I descended to the roots of the mountains.
The earth with its bars was around me forever,
But You have brought up my life from the pit, O Lord my God.

Salvation is from the Lord


2:7 - “While I was fainting away,
I remembered the Lord,
And my prayer came to You,
Into Your holy temple.

God hears our prayers regardless of where we are.
2:8 - “Those who regard vain idols
Forsake their faithfulness,

If man worships idols, he forsakes any help from the only God that can help.

2:9 - But I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving.
That which I have vowed I will pay.
Salvation is from the Lord.”

Man can be committed to his duty to the Lord.
Salvation is from the Lord.

Paragraph Summary
Man submits to God to alleviate God's hand of discipline.

Jonah 2:10 and paragraph summary
2:10 - Then the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah up onto the dry land.

God commands the creatures.



Chapter 2 boiled down to a sentence: All things on the earth submit to the will of God.
Note: Jonah prays from the Psalms, God's timeless word!

No comments: