Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Meltdown!


First 5K at 8 AM. Second 5K at 9 AM. Third 5K at 10 AM. Collapse at 10:29.19 AM. Ok, no collapsing.

I can't be bothered to look at my last couple of posts to see what kind of goals I told you all about, so I'll just put them down here.
1. Finish the first race under 27:09, which would be a PR.
CHECK!
2. Finish all three races under 30 minutes.
CHECK!
3. Manage my body temp so as to not get heat exhaustion.
CHECK! I thank the Lord for a somewhat cooler day than we've been having lately + cloud cover.

So, I got a good 30 minutes of rest between each race, which I used to hydrate, GU, towel off, and change socks, shirt, and hat. Yes, I brought three sets of running gear so that I wouldn't have to deal with the heavy, sweaty gear from the previous race.

There was a nice, gentle breeze, so I didn't have to climb in my Murano and blast myself with the A/C. I was just fine sitting in the back area with the hatch open. (and my shirt off. shhhhh, don't tell anyone!)

I was kind of surprised that I felt the worst on my first race. Of course, I was pushing the pace, but I did do about a mile or so warmup. It might have been nerves or something.

The next two races were much better, as far as how I felt. I just kind of ran; no lollygagging! I pushed it as much as I felt I could and ended each race with a nice fartlek.

Overall, I must say I am extremely pleased with my results. I bettered my last 5K time by 1:20 and my PR by :26.

Next up: A 15K trail run in three weeks.

No comments: